2022 School Admission Exercises for Returning Singaporeans and International Students
1. The Ministry of Education (MOE) invites Singaporean students who are overseas to join our Primary and Secondary Schools, Junior Colleges (JC) and Millennia Institute (MI) upon their return. International students (IS) can also apply for admission to our regular schools through the MOE.
Insured school placement service (ASP)
2. The Assured School Placement (ASP) service secures admission for Returning Singaporeans (RS) to primary and secondary schools with vacant places close to their residence. RS can access this service even before their return to Singapore. RSs are encouraged to approach the MOE early so they can start school early in the school year with their peers. Although the RS does not need to take a centralized test through this service, the primary or secondary school may conduct school-based assessments and/or an interview to determine the current level of the RS for placement purposes, in order to to best help the RS to settle in the school. and support SR education.
3. For more information on the ASP service, please visit www.moe.gov.sg/returning-singaporeans/assured-school-placement.
School Placement Exercise for Returning Singaporeans – Secondary Levels (SPERS-Sec) for 2023 Admissions
4. RS can also participate in the School Placement Exercise for Returning Singaporeans – Secondary Levels (SPERS-Sec), a centralized placement exercise held at the end of each year. As part of this exercise, RS will participate in a series of centralized SPERS tests. The MOE will then assign them to an appropriate school based on their test scores, their indicated school choices, and available vacancies in the schools.
5. SPERS-Sec 2022 will be open for applications from July 2022 for RS wishing to be admitted to Secondary 1-3 in 2023. SPERS-Sec tests will take place in September 2022 and RS will start school from January 2023. More Information about SPERS-Sec can be found at www.moe.gov.sg/returning-singaporeans/secondary/spers.
6. RS seeking admission to Pre-University 1 in 2023 can find more information regarding JC or MI admissions at www.moe.gov.sg/returning-singaporeans/post-secondary.
Supplemental Placement Exercise (SPE)
7. RSs who are unable to return in time to take the SPERS-Sec tests can take the tests as part of the Supplementary Placement Exercise (SPE), which will be held in December 2022, and will start school at from February 2023. The application for SPE will be open from October 2022. More information about the SPE 2022 exercise can be found at www.moe.gov.sg/returning-singaporeans/secondary/spe.
8. RSs who can return in September 2022 are advised to apply for SPERS-Sec instead of SPE, as this will allow them to start the 2023 academic year in January 2023 with their peers, instead of February 2023.
Admission exercise for international students (AEIS)
9. ISs seeking admission to Primary 2-5 and Secondary 1-3 must participate in the Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS), which is held every February and September in Singapore. Only those who meet our requirements will be offered a place in an appropriate school with places available.
Changes to the AEIS-Primary test
ten. The MOE will make changes to the AEIS-Primary (AEIS-Pri) test for ISs seeking admission to our primary schools from the 2023 school year. Since its inception, AEIS-Pri includes tests of English and Maths . For AEIS applications from July this year, AEIS-Pri will no longer offer the English test. Instead, IS must pass and meet or exceed the required score for the relevant Cambridge English Qualification (CEQ) test.
11. The CEQ test is taken in over 130 countries, and IS can take the test in any of these locations within the previous 12 months before registering for the AEIS-Pri math test. The CEQ test can be taken more than once if necessary.
12. The CEQ test reports student performance using the Cambridge English Scale (CES) score. IS must meet or exceed the CES score required for their admission level corresponding to their age before they can register for the AEIS-Pri math test in Singapore. The required CES score can be found at www.moe.gov.sg/international-students/aeis.
13. ISs wishing to register for the September 2022 AEIS-Pri math test will need to submit their CEQ test scores (meeting or exceeding the required CES score) when applications open in July 2022. As in previous years, IS Applications will close when places for the test of a particular level are fully taken.
14. The MOE will consider both CES and AEIS-Pri Mathematics test scores to determine applicants’ eligibility to be offered a school placement. Achieving the CES score alone does not guarantee a school placement.
15. There is no format change for the AEIS-Secondary tests.
16. IS with at least one parent who is a citizen of Singapore can contact the MOE for help and advice when applying for admission to Primary 2-5 or Secondary 1-3.
17. SIs wishing to be admitted to JC or MI must apply directly to the schools in December. Admission will be subject to the availability of vacant places and compliance with the school’s admission criteria.
18. More information about AEIS testing can be found at www.moe.gov.sg/international-students/aeis.