Lowell High School admissions controversy continues in San Francisco


San Francisco education officials have proposed a one-year extension of the lottery-based admission system at Lowell High School.

Superintendent Vince Matthews said there was no time to revert to the previous admissions process based on test scores and grades for the next school year, according to the Chronicle of San Francisco.

“We recognize that in light of the recent court ruling, families are eager to know what the admission process will be to apply to Lowell for the 2022-2023 school year,” Matthews said in a report. “It would be logistically impossible to establish and implement selective admission criteria before the February 4 application, so I recommend that we maintain our current admission practice at Lowell for the coming year.”

The district halted merit-based admissions for 9th graders during the COVID pandemic, saying there were no adequate criteria for judging students due to distance learning.

The school board voted to make the change permanent, but critics continued with the change.

Last month, a judge ruled that the school board failed to follow state law when it voted to end the competitive admissions process.

The judge said the district “clearly failed” to follow the state’s Brown Law, which requires public officials to provide full information on board meeting agendas on what action to consider.

SEE ALSO: Students at Lowell High School are fed up with racist culture and demand change


Comments are closed.